You may notice that this looks completely different. And the URL now has wordpress in it.  And old permalinks don’t work. Yes, because I don’t have time to fiddle around right now and my self-hosted blog got hacked!

I was using a free host that supports WordPress. Great, except…

On Monday (Mar 18), I couldn’t log into my blog. This has happened before and it was my login or something in my database that needed to be changed and then reset my password through WordPress. That worked again. I idly wonder how did it happen…does it really go randomly changing user names within the database itself? I think not! I wondered for a moment if I was getting hacked or something but I let it pass…

Of course, the next day I was trying to play around with feeds with The Old Reader (trying to find out if this was my replacement for Google Reader as the problem with Feedly is that I couldn’t see the number of comments). And my feed didn’t work. Hmmm… Then I went to my site and it was hacked….yeah. It wasn’t horrible hacking (nothing overly inappropriate although they did rename my author name to “f*ck” as I found out later as I was trying to import posts).

There was no easy fix (or I couldn’t find one that fast) and in the midst of essay season, I didn’t have time to deal with it so here we are.

Good thing I wasn’t on drupal, joomla, expression engine or some other blog/CMS platform without free site like WordPress.

I think I’ll eventually move again because I don’t like the limits that wordpress.com places on its users. But at least it won’t get hacked…(it would be big news if it did)
We’ll see. If I’m really lazy maybe I’ll just map my domain but meh….  But it’s better than going with a super cheap host that tend to blink in and out of existence I guess…

Leave a Reply